What are the necessary goods and services?

  • To shop for necessary goods and services.
  • You can only travel up to 5km from your home. You should stay as close to your home as possible, for example shopping at the nearest supermarket. For some people the nearest goods and services will be more than 5km away. In this situation you may travel beyond 5km to the nearest provider.
  • Only one person per household can leave home to get necessary goods and services and only once a day (this means you can’t do multiple shopping trips in a day). You should limit the time you spend away from home. If you are unable to leave home because it would mean leaving a young child or at-risk person at home unattended then they may accompany you.

What can we do for exercise?

  • You can leave home to exercise but there are limits:
  • You must not travel more than 5km from where you live to exercise.
  • You can exercise with one other person you live with or a friend or family member, as long as neither of you travel more than 5km from your home. Please use common sense and limit the number of people you see in person right now. It is safer to connect with friends and family using phone calls, social media and video calls. If you are exercising with someone else, you should keep 1.5 metres distance between you. Don’t hug, kiss or shake hands.
  • You must limit your exercise to once a day and for only one hour.
  • If you are a parent or guardian who is caring for a young child or someone who cannot be left unattended then they may accompany you.

Can I get/give care and health care:

  • You can leave home to receive health care or attend medical appointments. If you need to see a doctor or health care professional, you should do so. Do not put off getting medical care. Your doctor or health care professional can provide advice on how to stay safe.
  • You can leave home to care for a sick or elderly relative. If you are providing care for someone you should try to keep 1.5 metres between you when you can. Wear a face covering.
  • You can leave home to accompany someone for essential medical treatment if you are a parent, guardian or necessary support person.
  • You can take a pet to the vet.

Can I go to work Work?

  • If you can work from home, you must continue to work from home. Further announcements regarding workplaces will be made in the coming days.
  • Study at TAFE and university must be done remotely.

Can I go and meet my partner?

  • You can still visit an intimate partner.
  • Shared parenting arrangements, both formal and informal, can continue for children.

Can I leave home in an emergency?

  • You can leave home if there is an emergency.
  • You can leave home if there is family violence, or violence by another person in the home, and you are at risk. If you are stopped by police, tell them you are feeling unsafe at home and they will help you. Safe accommodation and support for family violence is available. Call safe steps on 1800 015 188 or email safesteps@safesteps.org.au for help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Why is this change being introduced?

Victoria has seen an increase in coronavirus cases over the last couple of weeks, including increased community transmission. We know that if everyone follows the restrictions, we can slow the spread of coronavirus. Stricter restrictions are being introduced that reduce the number of people who are moving around in the community. We know these new restrictions are tough, but together we can protect our loved ones, friends, colleagues, health care workers and the community.

Who does this apply to, and when?

From 6pm on Sunday 2 August 2020, Stage 4 restrictions apply to all people living in the Melbourne metropolitan area (but not Mitchell Shire). If you don’t live in this area, then Stage 3 restrictions will apply to you. The definition of metropolitan Melbourne is based on the Planning and Environment Act 1987 which sets out the local government areas that form metropolitan Melbourne. The local government areas where Stage 4 restrictions apply are:

  • Banyule
  • Bayside
  • Boroondara
  • Brimbank
  • Cardinia
  • Casey
  • Darebin
  • Frankston
  • Glen Eira
  • Greater Dandenong
  • Hobsons Bay
  • Hume
  • Kingston
  • Knox
  • Manningham
  • Maribyrnong
  • Maroondah
  • Melbourne
  • Melton
  • Monash
  • Moonee Valley  
  • Moreland  
  • Mornington Peninsula
  • Nillumbik  
  • Port Phillip  
  • Stonnington  
  • Whitehorse
  • Whittlesea
  • Wyndham
  • Yarra
  • Yarra Ranges

I live in Mitchell Shire – what restrictions apply to me?

If you are in Mitchell Shire then Stage 3 – Stay at Home restrictions continue to apply to you.  You can continue to leave home to exercise, but from 6pm on Sunday 2 August you will no longer be able to leave home for outdoor recreation. The Stage 4 curfew and travel limits do not apply to Mitchell Shire.

What restrictions now apply to Greater Geelong, Surf Coast, Queenscliffe, Colac Otway, Golden Plains, or Moorabool?

From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, Stage 3 – Stay at Home restrictions will apply to this part of Victoria. These restrictions replace the restrictions on visitors to your home that were introduced on 11:59pm on 30 July. You are still unable to have visitors to your home.

How can I keep myself and my family safe when I leave home?

To keep yourself, and your family safe when you leave home you should wash your hands before you leave and when you return home. Keep at least 1.5 metres between yourself and others. Always wear a face covering, unless you have a lawful exception.

What about other areas in metropolitan Melbourne that have very low numbers of cases?

Stage 4 restrictions will apply across all local government areas in metropolitan Melbourne. This will help maintain the relatively low numbers of cases in some areas.

Can I still visit my partner?

Yes. If you and your partner live in different homes, you can still visit your partner.

We have children in a shared custody arrangement. How does this affect them?

All shared custody arrangements, whether informal or court-ordered can continue as normal.

You are permitted to leave the house to take children from one parent’s home to the other parent’s home.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I travel?

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne you should be staying at home. From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, you must stay at home and you will not be able to travel more than 5km from you home, unless it is for work, medical care or caregiving.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I attend a funeral?

You can still hold a funeral if you live in metropolitan Melbourne however no more than 10 people are able to attend.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I get married?

If you live in metropolitan Melbourne you are not permitted to participate in a marriage ceremony, unless you have a reason on compassionate grounds.

If compassionate reasons allow a marriage ceremony to proceed, then only 5 people are allowed to be at the wedding. This includes the couple, witnesses and celebrant officiating the wedding.

You cannot leave metropolitan Melbourne to get married in another part of Victoria. People who live in metropolitan Melbourne cannot travel to attend weddings held outside of this area.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I still get take away food or drink?

Yes, you can still get take away food or drink but you can only pick it up if it is within 5 km from your home.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – what exercise is permitted?

You can exercise outside within 5km of your home. This means you can still walk, cycle, run, do yoga or a workout in the park.

All indoor and outdoor sport facilities are closed.

You can exercise in your home – by joining a virtual exercise class or following an online workout. For more information visit: VicHealth – How exercise can help during coronavirus.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I go fishing or play golf?

No. From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, you can no longer leave home for recreational activities including fishing, hunting, golf, boating, or recreational flying.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne – can I get out of the house and just go for a drive?

No. From 6pm on Sunday 2 August, you can no longer leave home to go for a drive. You can drive if you are leaving home for shopping for food and necessary supplies, medical care and caregiving and work and study, if you can’t do these from home.

If you live in an area where Stage 3 restrictions apply then you can go for a drive but you should not leave your vehicle except for these reasons (shopping for necessary goods or services, care, caregiving or compassionate reasons, and work or study).

Will students continue attending school in person?

Across Victoria all students will return to remote learning from 11:59pm on Tuesday 4 August.

Schools will still be open for vulnerable students and students whose parents are permitted workers.

Specialist schools in regional Victoria will also remain open.

Will kindergartens and early education centres be open in metropolitan Melbourne?

From 11:59pm on Wednesday 5 August, kindergarten and early childhood centres in metropolitan Melbourne will only be open for vulnerable children and children whose parents are permitted workers.

Kindergarten and early childhood centres in regional Victoria can remain open.

Will public transport continue to operate?

Yes, public transport will continue to operate, but with a reduced schedule in metropolitan Melbourne during curfew hours. When catching public transport you must wear a face covering and keep 1.5 metres between yourself and others. Wash your hands before you leave home and when you return.

Are there exceptions to leaving your home during curfew hours?

You may leave your home between 8pm and 5am for reasons including work, and essential health, care or safety reasons. You may also leave your home in an emergency.

I live in metropolitan Melbourne and am meant to move house next week. Can I still move?

Yes. You are still able to move house, but the curfew hours still apply. You should also take extra steps to stay safe including wearing a face covering.

I live in an apartment, am I allowed to take my dog out for a bathroom break more than once a day?

Yes. You may leave your apartment to take your dog for a bathroom break. However, you should stay as close to your apartment as possible and return to your apartment as soon as your dog has relieved itself. You should seek to minimise separate trips as much as possible, so consider taking your dog out when you exercise or shop for necessary good and services. You must wear a face covering, unless an exemption applies.

I have taken the test and need to isolate. So I need to take additional leave, what should I do?

If you have sick leave balance, you should use your sick leave while waiting for the result. A pandemic disaster payment has just been announced by the federal government for people who have to isolate – for those with no sick leave, a $1,500 payment for the fortnight.
Eligible people will be able to access the $1,500 payment multiple times if needed to isolate more than once. Available in Victoria only.

Otherwise, please consult with the HR team to discuss the options.